From: PaX Team <pageexec@××××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] XATTR_PAX, paxmark.sh, elog, icedtea, and maybe more
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 10:38:54
1 On 14 Dec 2014 at 4:18, "Tóth Attila" wrote:
2
3 > I've made an observation long before, that although PT_PAX flags are
4 > properly handled on my systems, the installed binaries and libraries lack
5 > XATTR_PAX markings.
6
7 first, PaX flags don't matter on libraries at all as only the executable
8 is used to determine the runtime flags. second, lack of xattrs means that
9 the secure defaults will be used (modulo what other control methods are
10 in play of course, see below).
11
12 > I have both PT and XT present in my make.conf for markings. I was told
13 > before, that I should rather opt for only one of the two possibilities -
14 > kernel-option wise and make.conf-marking-selection wise. Kinda both PT and
15 > XT are not supported at the same time using the current utilities.
16
17 what particular issues do you still have?
18
19 > Moreover: there is the question if PT marking is present and XATTR is
20 > missing at the same time: which one takes precedence? I suspect the system
21 > tries to interpret the missing XATTR, falling back to apply the default
22 > flags, while paying no attention to the PT flags present. Additionally, I
23 > haven't mentioned any policy defined PAX flags.
24
25 the general rule is that if a marking is missing (either from the kernel
26 config or the executable) then it won't participate in the decision making
27 process.
28
29 if both marks are present then they must be the same, otherwise the existing
30 mark will be used as is.
31
32 if neither mark exists then defaults will be used whose value depends on
33 softmode. in practice you'll get secure defaults in !softmode (this hierarchy
34 was introduced earlier this year, the defaults used to be not secure before
35 due to compatibility concerns for unmarked binaries, but i finally made the
36 switch).
37
38 for this reason these days you should really only set marks when you actually
39 want to deviate from the (now) secure defaults.
40
41 note that PT_PAX_FLAGS is special in that it's easier to create it at link
42 time than afterwards, so its presence is ok even if you don't change its
43 default value (which has always been secure for !softmode).