From: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] e1000e integrated laptop NIC loses carrier
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 17:15:35
1 Hi, Tóth.
2
3 В Вс, 24/03/2013 в 17:10 +0100, "Tóth Attila" пишет:
4 > I don't know if it's just me, but I noticed, that I cannot connect to my
5 > laptop after a while. It happens using hardened kernel versions 3.8.2 &
6 > 3.8.3, however 3.8.0-r1 seems to be free of this problem.
7 > The interface stays up, the LED are showing normal status, but attempts to
8 > use the card are unsuccessful. Ethtool reports no carrier. Therefore I
9 > cannot renew the DHCP address. NIC selftests return without any problem.
10 > It's probably non-hardened-related, but I thought I would communicate my
11 > findings to the list, because others might struggling with it as well. I
12 > cannot find any relevant results on google.
13 > The only message I could discover in my logs is that suddenly the laptop
14 > switches on its wireless card automatically, which happens if there's no
15 > wired connection. Right after that the wireless gets switched off again
16 > immediately. At this time I can no longer use eth0. But still be able to
17 > connect using the wireless interface.
18 > Intel pci-e NICs are so abundant, that I hope others will also experience
19 > these symptoms which will bring the attention of the driver maintainers or
20 > whatever responsible folks.
21
22 In my laptop I have following card:
23
24 00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network
25 Connection (rev 04)
26 Subsystem: Lenovo Device 21ce
27 Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 43
28 Memory at f2600000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
29 Memory at f262b000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
30 I/O ports at 5080 [size=32]
31 Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 2
32 Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
33 Capabilities: [e0] PCI Advanced Features
34 Kernel driver in use: e1000e
35
36 that works without any problems on 3.8.2-hardened-r1. Also, are you sure
37 this is hardened issue? Try vanilla sources to check if it's broken
38 there too...
41 WBR,
42 --
43 Peter.