From: Andrew Bevitt <cyfred@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] LiveCD install oddity
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 00:37:44
1 On Wednesday 03 March 2004 11:04, Michael Ihde wrote:
2 > However I have not tried disabling apic. Do you know why this problem
3 > would only occur during the bootstrap? If I reboot the LiveCD, mount
4 > the drives, and continue on the next step everything works fine.
5
6 I can only speculate as to why this only occurs during bootstrap. If it does
7 not occur during emerge system from within the chroot then I dont really know
8 though. My thoughts lean towards a bad proc interface within the chroot, or
9 bad signal processing from the chroot... but this doesnt explain the
10 behaviour for only bootstrap.
11
12 > The system has been running fine since then. FYI, I based my kernel
13 > config off the LiveCDs config. I also reemerged ncurses (on a fully
14 > installed SELinux machine) and it made in through without hanging....so
15 > I'm at a loss. When I have time I'll capture another output of the
16 > bootstrap process hanging again to determine if it always hangs in the
17 > same spot.
18
19 I've never really considered one package to be responsible, I guess in theory
20 it is though. But generally that would tend towards hardware faults which is
21 not the case if the system is running smoothly.
22
23 Andrew
26 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list