From: Ed Wildgoose <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>, gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Some teething problems with 2004.1 and cascaded profiles
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:05:55
1 Chris PeBenito wrote:
2
3 >On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 08:58, Ed Wildgoose wrote:
6 >>Hi I'm having some teething problems with the 2004.1 cascaded profile.
10 >I need to know what version of portage you are using.
14 I'm using 2.0.50-r6 - which should be the latest unmasked build in portage?
15
16 I couldn't bootstrap at all with the cascaded profiles,
17 bootstrap-cascade.sh would only pickup about 4-5 of the packages, and
18 then the script would drop out fairly soon with a portage message asking
19 me what to do (presumably the script fed in the empty package, and hence
20 the error)
21
22 So what I had to do to bootstrap was use the selinux-1.4, and then
23 switch back to 2004.1 profile before doing the emerge system. This
24 however, didn't work completely - a whole host of packages werent merged
25 and I had to write a little script to go through everything in
26 profiles/base/packages and check they were actually installed (it left
27 me without stuff like ifconfig and other essential tools). However,
28 probably a symptom of the same thing, I still have problems emerging
29 stuff with a virtual dependency, seems like it isn't finding that base
30 directory
31
32 Any ideas?
33
34 >>compiling (I'm assuming that everything is given as compiler flags now,
35 >>so there should be no issues mixing selinux and normal machines with
36 >>distcc...?) If not, then is there an easy way to enable this?
40 >SELinux doesn't care about distcc, just as long as you have it's policy
41 >(which should be installed when you merge distcc on a SELinux machine).
42 >If you're using hardened gcc, then thats a different story; all of the
43 >machines need to have the same version gcc and hardened gcc.
47 OK, I am confusing selinux with hardened, but what I meant to write was
48 that I want a hardened + selinux machine. The docs have suddenly got
49 really confused about what hardened means now... At one point you needed
50 hardened-gcc, however, right now the hardened gcc appears to be
51 deprecated and not in use? Apparently you just need to "use hardened"
52 to get the same effect...? I added -fstack-protector to my CFLAGS to
53 try and make sure that it is happening as widely as possible though (is
54 this sensible).
55
56 It's really not clear what needs to be done to get a "hardened" system
57 right now? For example, do we need any other flags adding to
58 make.conf...? Any chance of a pointer to some updated advice? This is
59 my first bash with "hardened", so I'm still rather wet around the ears
60 and unsure what I will actually be getting (but I needed to rebuild my
61 webserver, so it seems like a good thing to investigate...)
62
63 Thanks
64
65 Ed W