From: Ed Wildgoose <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Can't log into my selinux system
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:33:11
1 >Login contexts are determined by the running policy, so login gets them
2 >by requesting them through selinuxfs (/selinux). So to correctly login
3 >locally you need:
4 >
5 >1. correctly setup policy
6 >2. agetty is in getty_t
7 >3. /bin/login is login_exec_t
8 >4. selinuxfs is mounted
9 >
10 >These aren't all the requirements, but the ones that are needed to get
11 >login contexts. ps -AZ and look at all the agetty's to make sure
12 >they're all running in the right context (since sestatus only shows
13 >one). But since your logged in the kernel_t context, and your
14 >controlling term is wrong, you should probably restart, so everything
15 >can get into the right context.
19 Hmm, ok, this looks like the problem then. 2) agetty is running in
20 system_u:system_r:kernel_t? Should that be happening? 1), 3) and 4)
21 are fine
22
23 Tested rebooting and I can log in then. However, the policy is clearly
24 not auto loading, ps -AZ shows everything running as "kernel". cd
25 /etc/blah/policy and doing make reload sets agetty back as described
26 above and no more consoles can login... SSH into the machine doesn't
27 work then either, with an error in syslog which looks like basically the
28 same thing, no default security context found for user root...
29
30 Before testing any of this I reloaded the security policy and re-applied
31 it to the whole fs. Then rebooted.
32
33 ls -AZ /sbin/agetty
34 system_u:object_r:getty_exec_t
35
36 Is this correct ^^^? I'm still not getting how it ends up with the
37 context that it does, unless it simply inherits it from the fact that it
38 was previously running as root? I can't see any reference to agetty in
39 the policy dirs
40
41 Thanks for any insight
42