From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o, lists@×××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] The state of ebuild signing in portage
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:11:32
1 >On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Joshua Brindle wrote:
2 >
3 >> there is no easy way since the only way cvs knows to allow/disallow commits is
4 >> by permissions, we use permissions but they aren't fine grained, ie: everyone
5 >> who has access to commit any package can commit to all of them. This is a lot
6 >> better anyway since we have to be able to add new packages, do quick bumps
7 >> on packages we don't necessarilly maintain, etc. Obviously if a dev is abusing
8 >> we'll have records of what was commited and where and be able to take care
9 >> of that.
10 >
11 >I maintained a CVS repository at my old workplace.
12 >By taking advantage of the CVS passwd file, I was able to both avoid authenticating with local
13 >users, *and* allow arbitrarily fine-grained access to the repository.
14 >
15 >If you think it would be useful, I could sketch out our permission scheme. It wasn't terribly
16 >complicated, although it did result in creation of a lot of groups and users...
19 AFAIK this necessitates use of cvs pserver. We don't use pserver, it's less secure than
20 cvs over ssh which is what we use.
21
22 and when i said it can't be done easily i meant logistically, devs move around a lot,
23 take care of what needs taken care of, etc. It would be a full time job keeping
24 permissions up to date, and it also wouldn't be a productive use of time. Moreover
25 we do have a need to authenticate locally since cvs isn't the only resource developers
26 use on the machine.
29 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list