From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: Joseph Booker <joe@××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened-sources-2.6.x results.
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:57:54
1 Joseph Booker wrote:
2
3 > Ned Ludd said:
4 >
5 >>hardened-dev-sources-2.6 is available for "testing"
8 > out of curisotiy, why is the kernel avalible as a seperate kernel while
9 > hardened's gcc is to be avlible as a USE flag?
12 It's simple. Rather than supporting a fully seperate gcc ebuild which
13 reproduces everything and adds another patch it's much easier to add the
14 hardened patch on via USE=hardened. This will keep gcc development in
15 sync for everyone.
16
17 This is something that can not easily be done for a kernel because all
18 our kernels, especially gentoo-sources are heavily patched. Also, our
19 hardened-sources have specifically chosen patches which enhance
20 security, it is a goal of the hardened-sources project while
21 gentoo-sources chooses patches for a number of reasons, performance,
22 compatibility, feature enhancements, etc. There are many patches in
23 gentoo-sources that have no business in hardened-sources, like win4lin
24 for example. Each kernel source ebuild has conceptually different needs
25 and patchsets and cannot easilly (or possibly) be combined via USE flags
26 whereas this is a trivial thing to do for GCC. Gentoo users can always
27 choose the correct kernel sources for their needs.
28
29 Also, gentoo-sources already has grsec, which includes pax so it should
30 give the same functionality as hardened, but perhaps with some unneeded
31 desktop/performance cruft that we find unsuitable for hardened-sources.
34 Joshua Brindle
37 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list