From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened Documentation
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 13:48:04
1 As mentioned several months back I will start to contribute to the
2 Gentoo/Hardened project documentation-wise. There are a few questions that
3 immediately emerge in my head:
4
5 For installation documentation (i.e. install Gentoo/Hardened with SELinux,
6 with grsec, with ...), there are two possible roads to go. The first one is
7 to write and maintain separate installation guides [1]. This is the most
8 user-friendly approach but also the hardest to maintain.
9
10 The second one is to write and maintain an addenda-like guide. This is less
11 user-friendly but a lot more easy to maintain. I'd rather use this approach;
12 perhaps just initially to begin with and later on we can still think about
13 maintaining separate installation guides if you're not happy with the
14 results.
15
16 Apart from this, can I focus directly on servers or should I also take
17 workstations as possible target? I'm thinking about the various XFree/X.org
18 difficulties.
19
20 Wkr,
21 Sven Vermeulen
22
23 [1] Think http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/selinux/selinux-x86-install.xml
26 Bent Hindrup Andersen, Danish MEP, about the Software Patent Directive:
27 The approach of the Commission and Council in this directive is shocking.
28 They are making full use of all the possibilities of evading democracy that
29 the current Community Law provides. <http://lwn.net/Articles/84009/>