From: Jesse Jacobs <jesse@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Grsecurity 2 in hardened-sources
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:09:07
1 Hello Ned,
2
3 Thanks for all your (and the whole team's) great effort!
4
5 Ned Ludd said:
6 > On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 08:12, Jesse Jacobs wrote:
7 >
8 >> I was wondering when gradm-2* would be put in portage?
9 > In the next few hours..
12 Sweet!
13
14 >> Would there be any sort of docs for this too? (Humble Plea) :)
15 >
16 > When spender(Author of grsecuirty) writes the 2.x documentation we
17 > will be happy to include it, other than that the best we could try and
18 > do is extract a few things from the grsecurity mailing list.
19 > (Any gentoo-devs and or gentoo-users up for this?)
22 I will assist, If you're willing to let me. I'm already on the mailing
23 list, and have been following the little snippets as they are added to
24 2.0 and scouring the archives.
25
26 Are the security doc's already in the tarball?
27 I haven't checked yet as I'm at work :( I will in approx 5 hours.
28
29 >> Thanks Again Gentoo-Hardened!
30 > Hey we love doing it..
31
32 :)
36 >> Would u be willing to try using a hard mask?
37 >>
38 >> When the grsec2 transition takes place across all kernels...
39 >>
40 >> we can use grsec2 by removing the hardmask.
41 >
42 > After a few long talks with the people on freenode we have decided
43 > that gradm will be merged into portage as gradm2 and will remain this
44 > way for its life. By doing it this way we completly avoid the
45 > apache{1,2} type of mess when ~arch flags are set in your keywords
46 > [which will be required to use gradm2]
49 I respect your decision.
50
51 In fairness, the apache issue was seeded from the decision the maintain
52 2 stable branches within the same package name. Both gradm 1 and 2
53 cannot co-exist correct? A user could then install both right?
54 Will 2.0 eventually trickle down to all the gresec aware kernels?
55
56 Sorry for being a PITA,
57 j
58