From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Tad <tadglines@×××××××.net>
Cc: Hardened Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-hardened@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SElinux on filesystems other than ext[23]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:32:41
1 On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 15:52, Tad wrote:
2 > I have been experimenting with running SELinux on filesystems other than
3 > ext2 and ext3. My first attempt was with reiserfs(3.6) plus some patches
4 > from SUSE. I was able to get it (sort of) working after I fixed a locking
5 > issue. I found that it was a bit slow and tended to loose corrupt the
6 > context label. I decided that the xattr patch for reiserfs was just to slow
7 > and hackish.
8
9 Its unfortunate that ReiserFS only has those patches. I'm told that
10 Hans Reiser is against extended attributes, so Reiser4 may or may not
11 have them.
12
13 > To get SElinux to work on XFS all that seems needed is a minor change to
14 > xfs_iops.[hc] so that it will recognize and allow security.* xattrs. I've
15 > made the changes, and created a 2.4.21 kernel with XFS, the ea+acl patchset
16 > and SElinux.
17 >
18 > I'm testing my changes right now and would like to know if anyone else is
19 > interested in a SElinux+xfs combination.
20
21 I myself don't use XFS; however, if you drop a link to your fixed XFS
22 patches, and the patch to add the security. handling I'd be happy to
23 look at them, and possibly add them to selinux-sources. It would be
24 more difficult to add it to hardened-sources, but that is a possibility
25 too.
26
27 What would be even more useful is if you could create a patch for 2.6.
28 Then we could test it, send it over to the NSA so they could try it out
29 too. If we could get it into 2.6, that'd be great. It would probably
30 have to be a configure option, like it is for ext[23].
33 Chris PeBenito
34 <pebenito@g.o>
35 Developer,
36 Hardened Gentoo Linux
37 Embedded Gentoo Linux
38
39 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
40 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243