From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] virtualization
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 11:04:42
1 Hi!
2
3 On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 12:58:12PM +0800, Pavel Labushev wrote:
4 > I wouldn't call such news good. KERNEXEC, especially on x86_64, plays a
5 > big role in protecting the kernel from both local and remote attacks.
6 > KVM doesn't require such arguable compromises (no pun intended).
7
8 True. But KVM unable to run Mac OS X, that's main reason to use VirtualBox.
9 Less important things: KVM don't support 3D acceleration; don't have
10 signed drivers for guest Windows (and thus require switching Windows to
11 "Testing mode" to install drivers); sometimes it need awful tricks like
12 building custom BIOS from patches sources; I can't give my KVM virtual
13 machines to friends which use Windows as host OS; etc.
14 KVM works and this is very good, but for now it's still far away from real
15 products like VMware or VirtualBox.
18 WBR, Alex.