From: Boyd Waters <bwaters+moz@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] [Fwd: Request for comments on "Disk Encryption HOWTO"]
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:46:45
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 ~From the linux-crypto list, a GREAT document on hard disk encryption.
5
6 ~ http://mica.nfshost.com/HOWTO/Disk-Encryption/
7
8 I have asked the author for permission to use a modified version of this
9 document in the Gentoo documentation.
10
11 We can point some Gentoo-ers at this and generate more feedback for him,
12 making for a better document.
13
14 David's document is specific to loop-AES and kernel 2.4; I have been
15 working hard on a CryptoAPI and kernel 2.6 version of this. (the hard
16 work is, unfortunately, R&D, trying to get it to work...)
19 - - boyd
22 - -------- Original Message --------
23 Subject: Request for comments on "Disk Encryption HOWTO"
24 Date: 14 Aug 2003 01:24:42 -0700
25 From: David Braun <po3mrk7302@××××××××××.com>
26 To: linux-crypto@××××××××.org
27
28 I wanted to encrypt my whole hard disk and looked for a method to do
29 so. I found methods close to this goal but not quite achieving it so I
30 made my own method and wrote it up.
31
32 I've included it in a new "Disk Encryption HOWTO", intended to supersede
33 the existing "Loopback Encrypted Filesystem HOWTO" [1]. Please read it
34 and provide me with criticism, suggestions, and other feedback. Here
35 are some things I'm looking for:
36
37 ~ * Sanity check. Does it make sense? Am I way off base?
38 ~ * Smoke test. Does the procedure work for you?
39 ~ * Weakness. Could the security be improved in a practical way?
40 ~ * Readability. Do you understand it easily?
41
42 The document is here:
43
44 ~ http://mica.nfshost.com/HOWTO/Disk-Encryption/
45
46 David Braun
47
48 [1] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Loopback-Encrypted-Filesystem-HOWTO.html
51 - -
52 Linux-crypto: cryptography in and on the Linux system
53 Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-crypto/
65 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list