From: Tad <tadglines@×××××××.net>
To: 'Chris PeBenito' <pebenito@g.o>
Cc: 'Hardened Gentoo Mail List' <gentoo-hardened@g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-hardened] SElinux+XFS
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:57:59
1 > On Wednesday, November 26, 2003 Chris PeBenito wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 00:03, Tad wrote:
4 > > For anyone that is interested, I've created a patch to XFS that adds the
5 > > security.* extended attribute namespace needed by SElinux.
6 >
7 > > The other option was to add true support for the security namespace.
8 >
9 > Due to some prodding from Primer on IRC, I had a talk with a XFS
10 > developer in #xfs. And from what's been described, your implementation
11 > sounded correct. I created a patch for 2.6.0-test10 using your patch.
12 > I'll be seeing what the XFS people have to say about it.
13
14 That's great. I hope they like it, or at least incorporate something that is
15 functionally equivalent.
16
17 If they don't accept it, I've also created an alternative patch that puts
18 the security.* attributes under the XFS_ATTR_ROOT namespace (trusted.*). It
19 works just as well but has the added benefit of not forcing the need to
20 patch xfsdump. However, it's not as ideal because it occludes a segment of
21 the available trusted.* namespace (trusted.security.*) and just feels more
22 hackish. If anyone is interested in it, let me know and I'll post it.
23
24 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~pebenito/xfs-security-namespace-2.6.0-test10.diff
25 >
26 > I have lightly tested this, and it does work correctly with SELinux.
27 > The XFS line in the fs_use file in the policy would have to be
28 > uncommented, and the policy reloaded. If people are interested, you can
29 > try it out, but I wouldn't use it on anything important yet, in case
30 > things change.
31 >
32 > XFS mounting filesystem loop0
33 > Ending clean XFS mount for filesystem: loop0
34 > SELinux: initialized (dev loop0, type xfs), uses xattr
35 >
36 > > I haven't looked at xfsdump/xfsrestore so I don't know if they will
37 > require
38 > > changes. I'm hoping that they take the flags field whole and don't do
39 > > anything with it that could disrupt the new XFS_ATTR_SECURITY bit.
40 >
41 > I'll pass these concerns on to the XFS people.
42
43 I looked at xfsdump and from what I saw it will need to be patched.
44
45 -Tad
49 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list