From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Ed Wildgoose <lists@××××××××××.com>
Cc: Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@××××××.com>, gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] use of 'LDFLAGS=-pie' deprecated?
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 17:07:14
1 On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 14:35, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 08:31, Ed Wildgoose wrote:
3 > > Aaron Walker wrote:
4 > >
5 > > >I noticed that after upgrading to gcc-3.3.3-r3, while emerging things, I
6 > > >get lots of "-pie: unrecognized option" messages.
7 > > >
8 > > >Has the use of -pie in LDFLAGS been deprecated? If so, in favor of
9 > > >what?
10 >
11 > Yes..
12 > It's been deprecated in favor of gcc patches and proper documentation.
13 > 3/4 of which is still pending.
14
15 Based on some recent questions I've gotten on irc.gentoo.org it
16 sounds like I need to clear up some confusion for some people.
17 CFLAGS/LDFLAGS still work. They will just be far less supported over
18 using gcc spec modifications. Reason for this is many Makefile's toss
19 out or can't cope with user supplied LDFLAGS such as apache2 or quite
20 simply need more logic of when to enable/disable PIE & SSP etc.. But
21 rest assured that the flags do work from gcc/binutils.
24 > Anybody love to document things? :)
25 >
26 > > >
27 > > >
28 > >
29 > > I believe that with gcc3.3.3-r2 onwards you just need the USE="hardened"
30 > > flag to get the old behaviour... I asked a similar question a few days
31 > > back if you want to check the archives.
32 > >
33 > > Perhaps someone who knows what they are talking about could positively
34 > > confirm this though!
35 >
36 > I'll confirm for you that -r4 will be the desired gcc to use as soon as
37 > I make some changes. -r3 has some undesirable bugs which are fixed in
38 > the -* masked -r4.
39 > However the -r4 has it's own unique set of problems with
40 > some patch offsets that are not playing along unless USE=uclibc is set.
41 >
42 > In short.. Give it a week. I've got other things on my plate like trying
43 > to raise funds to feed myself which must take priority and thus I can't
44 > dive into gcc right away.
45 >
46 > > Ed W
47 > >
48 > > --
49 > > gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list
52 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
53 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer