From: Kevin <lists@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Status new selinux reference policy
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 22:53:15
1 Petre Rodan wrote:
2 > hi Chris,
3 >
4 > [..]
5 >> Courier, dante, jabber and snort are done.
6 >
7 > great news.
8 >
9 >> I believe a debian guy is doing a openvpn policy. I'll see if I
10 >> can get the remaining policies converted over this weekend.
11 >
12 > I talked with Erich Schubert and he said that the openvpn policy is low priority for him, so I will do that one. It is almost done actually.
15 I hope I'm not seeming impatient by asking these questions, but in
16 preparing to post to this list, I noticed this thread and this is very
17 much like what I would have posted so I'll follow up instead.
18
19 Also, there's one issue that I'm not quite understanding in this thread,
20 though, and I've asked the question in a number of different phrasings
21 (marked with [] ) because I'm having difficulty figuring out how to
22 express the question succinctly.
23
24 Three weeks have now passed since the last post to this thread, so
25 please pardon me if I politely ask:
26
27 Where do the issues raised by this thread stand now?
28
29 pebenito writes that, "Courier, dante, jabber and snort are done," so
30 that leaves:
31
32 -The Gentoo SELinux reference policy itself [In the context of Gentoo,
33 exactly what is this? A Gentoo package? A collection of packages? A
34 collection of files that each package owns? other?]
35
36 -Petre Rodan wrote: "use what we have now in the stable branch please"
37 [So is that a package in portage then?] Sorry if I'm being dense here.
38
39 -How far along is the work to migrate to the reference policy?
40
41 -pebenito mentions, "I had planned on a test release of refpolicy for
42 Gentoo right now,"... [Is that (refpolicy) a gentoo package?] I don't
43 see anything like it in portage, but perhaps that's because it's just
44 not in there yet.
45
46 -other policies not already addressed in the thread:
47 asterisk
48 clockspeed
49 ntop
50 openvpn
51 qmail
52
53 And finally, [how do I make use of these policies if they are all done?]
54
55 Pardon me for the newbie-ness of this additional question, but: [when
56 pebenito says, "Courier, dante, jabber and snort are done," what exactly
57 does that mean? Is there a gentoo package containing a policy for
58 courier-imap or jabber-server or dante or snort? Or is the policy for
59 (say) jabber-server just a file (or a set of files) that is incorporated
60 into the jabber-server package when the selinux USE flag is set? (or
61 other?).]
62
63 Being a newbie to SELinux, I think I'm missing something about how
64 SELinux policies are incorporated into Gentoo.
65
66 I read the bug report mentioned in this thread and the
67 http://serefpolicy.sourceforge.net/ pointer referenced therein, but not
68 knowing exactly how these policies are incorporated into Gentoo I feel
69 like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle.
70
71 Thanks.
72
73 -Kevin
74
75 PS. If any of these are faqs, I welcome a redirection to the appropriate
76 source of answers.
77 --
78 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list