From: Chris Richards <gizmo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux policy rules principles?
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:07:07
1 On 01/19/2011 01:39 PM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > So you want the application to function properly and that the logs have no
3 > "cosmetic" AVC denials (fine - fully agree here). One thing that I can't
4 > gather from this is
5 > - do you want to dontaudit the AVC denials which apparently have no impact
6 > on functionality, or
7 > - do you want to allow the AVC denials even though they have no impact on
8 > functionality
9 >
10 > I personally don't mind having Gentoo Hardened pick the latter (we use
11 > SELinux to confine applications in the manner that no denial should ever be
12 > triggered as long as the application doesn't go beyond what it is programmed
13 > to do). Even though it might not be within the principle of "least
14 > privilege" (only allow what it needs), at least it gives the SELinux policy
15 > developer a clearer scope of his tasks.
16 >
17 > The problem with the first approach is that other users have a higher
18 > likelihood of having a malfunctioning system than with the last (what the
19 > developer sees as cosmetic might be important on other systems).
22 As I mentioned previously, my concern with having harmless AVCs in the
23 log is that we create a situation where the System Admin gets so used to
24 seeing all of these AVCs that he gets in the habit of ignoring them.
25 Being in the habit of ignoring stuff in the logs is, IMO, a Bad Thing
26 because it increases the likelihood of ignoring something important.
27
28 That being said, troubleshooting a system where legitimate AVCs are
29 being dontaudited can be difficult, and determining if an AVC should be
30 dontaudited can involve digging through a LOT of code. Perhaps we
31 should leave the AVCs we aren't certain of for a bit, with an eye to
32 either dontauditing or fixing them at a later date?
33
34 Later,
35 Chris