From: Mauro Maroni <mmaroni@××××××.ar>
To: gentoo-hppa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hppa] Suddenly cannot open root partition
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 00:31:13
1 On Friday 26 January 2007 20:08, Brett Johnson wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 07:30:56PM -0300, Mauro Maroni wrote:
3 > > I am not 100% sure but I believe udev had
4 > > been updated a couple of days before and the problem occured after that.
5 >
6 > If you would like to confirm if udev did get upgraded,
7
8 Confirmed. Udev was upgraded last december from 0.8x to 1.0.3.
9 This was the first time the machine have rebooted since December.
10 And I also found similar "udevd breakpoint" messages on /var/log/messages some
11 minutes after that upgrade.
14 > If you feel (or confirm) that the problem is related to udev, you may
15 > want to back down to the previous version you had installed. Hopefully
16 > it's still in the tree.
17
18 Well, the problem now is that the CD I had does not detect the network card,
19 even modprobing the tulip module manually. So no card, no emerge...
20 It is an old CD (2004.2) so now I am downloading a newer image (2006.1).
21 I hope it works with it.
24 > > I also noticed that it only can see the root partition (in read-only
25 > > mode of course), but /boot (/dev/sda4) and /mnt/disk2 (/dev/sdb1) both
26 > > shows as if they were empty (ls shows nothing inside them)
27 >
28 > Can you see the other partitions when booting off the CD? Before you
29 > enter the chroot environment above, make sure you mount all your
30 > partitions as you did during the install. Hopefully you can see the data
31 > and the other partitions. If not it sounds like you have may have some
32 > drive corruption.
33
34 The partitions are OK.
37 > Good luck!
38
39 Thanks. I just found in Google that a Debian user had a similar problem and
40 had to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.17. I will try that once I get the
41 image....and the network card working :-)
42
43 > Brett
44
45 Regards,