From: Preston Cody <ppc105@×××××××××.edu>
To: GLI <gentoo-installer@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] GLI Missed set locale for non-English spoken users
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:24:45
1 > GLI is a great project, I am willing to contribute to it. There are some
2 > things I want to talk about in this email:
3 > 1. GLI seems missing a step to set locale and XIM input method, which is very
4 > important for non-English spoken people. Sure, you can set it yourself like
5 > what I did. But for GLI, is that suppose to be taken care automatically?
6
7 Actually we have localization support tested and working, but have yet
8 to use it in any of our front-ends. Please keep in mind the installer
9 is still in early stages of development and since all our devs speak
10 English there issues like localization kinda get put on the back burner
11 until we iron out details like partitioning.
12
13 > 2. Reiserfs ans XFT support. We developed our own installer called Magic
14 > Installer(very close to GLI), which support Reiserfs (even Reiserfs4) and XFT
15 > for partition. Since I haven't spend much time on GLI, i would like to try to
16 > solve this problem for GLI in the future.
17
18 Technically we could support reiserfs if we wanted to, though it causes
19 some nice resize problems that agaffeny could better explain to you.
20 While I enjoy reiserfs, it seems that I am in a minority on this project
21 and most people consider it evil and don't want to support it. If you
22 would be willing to help support reiserfs for us, that would be most
23 appreciated by me.
24
25 -Preston Cody
26 Gentoo Linux Developer