From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-installer] Status update 2004-04-27
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 02:06:17
1 Here's a quick status update on the installer project.
2
3 - Quite a bit of conversation has been taking place about what
4 partitioning tools are "safe" and "stable" on what architectures. As you
5 may have suspected, this is different on each arch and on some, none are
6 a safe bet. A generic partitioning framework has been started that
7 should (eventually) accommodate all archs that Gentoo runs on (or may
8 run on in the future). This set of python classes will most likely be
9 released as a separate package for other projects to make use of.
10
11 - An object network notification system has been built which will allow
12 any python object to register itself as an "observer" and receive events
13 as they happen in real time. (Not checked in yet, undergoing external
14 testing and being considered for separate release as well.)
15
16 - Work has been done on file encryption for the protection of installer
17 profiles that may be stored in unsecured locations.
18
19 - Some todo lists, documents, and other items have seen updates.
20
21 We are still moving along to a testable prototype (in some fashion) and
22 will let everyone know when there is something substantial to really
23 test. That said, we are approaching that point at a much better rate.
24 Partitioning is a major sticking point due to its arch dependent nature
25 and the ability to render a machine unusable if the code is not just right.
26
27 As always, I'll finish with an open invite to those interested in the
28 installer project to join us in #gentoo-installer (irc.freenode.net).
29 Most (if not all) of the developer communication and working out of
30 ideas happens here.
31
32 Questions, comments, feedback welcome.
33
34 Regards.
35 --
36 Eric Sammer