From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Newbie
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:50:53
On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 15:34 +0200, Mark Humphrey wrote:
> Hi there > > I'm new to the list and new to Gentoo. > > I've heard a few different opinions about installation. Some say that I > should use the first installation CD of release 2005.0 and then download > the rest from the net. Others say I should use the packages CD and > install what I can off there and then download off the net. > > What are the benefits of each? > Bear in mind that I only have a dial-up connection.
This list is for the Gentoo Linux Installer project, and has nothing to do with general support. You're probably looking for gentoo-user instead. That being said, I'll answer your question. Use the Universal CD + Packages CD if you're on dial-up. Better yet, wait a little while, as we are nearing our next release. Gentoo is *very* network heavy, so you may end up not liking it if you're only on dial-up, but I leave that up to you, as there are many people that use it just fine, doing downloads overnight. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead/QA Manager Games - Developer Gentoo Linux