From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Gentoo installer vs current installation method, what about later?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:32:46
1 On 10/20/05, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > > Aww... come on... I wanna vote somebody off the island.
4 > >
5 > > Anyhow I think the minimal and the installer cd are the way to go.
6 > > Perhaps if you just also release the source files you use to build the
7 > > iso (I don't know what this would be, perhaps the catalyst file?) then
8 > > people who desperately want to put together a KDE livecd or something
9 > > like that could do it themselves.
10 >
11 > Currently, much of the ISO generation is done manually. As for what is
12 > done upto livecd-stage1, I have actually said many times how to
13 > accomplish this. Take every package from the published "packagecd.spec"
14 > for x86, add them to the end of "livecd-stage1.spec" and you're done.
15 >
16 > To use my spec files, you would need my hand-hacked copy of catalyst,
17 > which is currently useless on anything but my machine, since it has tons
18 > of hard-coded information (distcc hosts, paths, etc) that I have no
19 > plans on sanitizing just to release, considering it is a modification
20 > from catalyst 1.1.10.10 <http://1.1.10.10>, and the catalyst 1.x line has
21 > reached EOL as we
22 > are moving all development to catalyst 2.0, which will be capable of
23 > building a LiveCD similar to mine. At that time, I'll release specs
24 > designed for catalyst 2.0 for public consumption.
27 Great... thats all I was curious about. I'm perfectly happy to let you make
28 the CDs. Thanks for the answer Chris.
29
30 -Mike
34 Michael E. Crute
35 Software Developer
36 SoftGroup Development Corporation
37
38 Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
39 "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"