From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] installer/ releng coordination
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:50:44
1 On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 04:37:25PM +0100 or thereabouts, George Prowse wrote:
2 > Wouldn't it reduce the time of the project if we at least had a look at
3 > the installer? I've had a look and installed with it a while ago out of
4 > curiosity and although its not ideal its certainly a work in progress.
5 > Just bin the RPM base. lol
6
7 We've already been through this a few months ago and we elected not to.
8 Corey's already outlined some of the reasons why. Basically, it's trying
9 to fit a square peg into a round hole.
10
11 There is real code written for our current installer. Have you looked at
12 that? My feeling is you haven't. Constructive criticism is good, but you
13 should at least know what it is that you're criticizing.
14
15 Also, there's nothing preventing you or anyone else from taking up this
16 project on their own and running with it. If you're of the belief that
17 basing an installer off of anaconda is the best solution, then by all means
18 -- go for it. By the same token, I hope you understand if we continue to
19 pursue the path we've already selected. You're welcome to help out with
20 that project if you decide not to pursue your own.
21
22 --kurt