From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Question about Gentoo-Server
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:42:10
On Monday 29 September 2008 08:01:49 Ladislav Laska wrote:
> Hi, > > there is a little easier way. I'm using it for some time now. > > You can use -B parameter (build package only) and then install with -K > parameter (you'll split the process into two parts - build and tbz2 > pkg and install binary package). You can even run emerge -B from cron > script, as long as your machine is powerful enough and you'll keep > track of packages (note that world keyword will always get you same > set of packages) > > Works well, especially when you don't have time to sit and wait to > compile few more pkgs to complete update and not to ruin your system > when problem rises and you'll not be there to solve it. > > Hope I helped at least a little.
What you can even do is build stuff on a secondary machine, and then use the binary package repository support (-G) to get the stuff from that machine onto another one and effectively you have the same functionality as a binary OS. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net