From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] New class diagram and use case
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:40:08
On Tuesday 03 February 2004 17:46, Eric Sammer wrote:
> Paul de Vrieze wrote: > > On Tuesday 03 February 2004 04:37, Eric Sammer wrote: > > > > Just remember to use a progressive xml parsing strategy like SAX (forget > > DOM) so at least you can do things as pause. In this case you just do > > things as you find them in the xml file. If the file/pipe blocks you > > have a pause, else you continue, all for free. > > I almost always use sax because of the memory footprint size compared to > DOM. That said, the XML parsing would have nothing to do with pausing. > The profile would be parsed to an object if we're loading one and as the > user goes through the process, instance variables would be filled in in > the GLIInstallProfile object. Once it was done, a call to serialize() > will build and write the XML. So, they are 100% separate and one would > never effect the other.
I don't see what you mean with GLIInstallProfile, but there are basically two cases: - single xml file - multiple xml files (possibly a way to put multiple ones into one file) In the case where there is a single xml file it is necessary that the backend is able to allready perform tasks at the moment that a complete task has been received (but following tasks not yet). As DOM works in a parse completely first way it is inappropriate (unless there is a dom that doesn't work that way). Say that the interface between the backend and the frontend is a pipe. In that case a way to control the backend would be by sending an xml file over. How would that work together with an interactive frontend. The backend would try to read the pipe. At the moment that a task has been closed it will execute the task. If there is a task in the pipe's buffer at that moment it will execute the next task etc. If there is no task in the buffer, the pipe will block and the backend will automatically pause until the frontend tells it to do more. For the backend it would not matter whether all the tasks are comming from a file, at once from the frontend or gradually by the frontend. I don't care that much how or if you implement this in the frontend, but implementing it in the backend (where it is simpler anyway) would make it easy to add interactivity in a later stage. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net