From: Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] installer/ releng coordination
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 00:53:04
On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 17:36, John Davis wrote:
> Yeah, livecd integration of anything is always tricky. What kind of > LiveCD are you thinking of using? I am using a beta KDE LiveCD atm that > works perfectly. We also have the standard minimal/ universal LiveCDs. > Tell me what you need and I can get it to you. As for the installer's > needs, we already cover most of those, so no worries.
Once we get there, this is my vision. I'd love to see a full knoppix-like cd that people can boot their computers on and use their computer. Then the installer can be non-modal, so they can do stuff while gentoo is installing (unlike anaconda, etc). My own personal preferance is to use pygtk for the installer, as I have experience with it. (I don't think anyone on the project has experience with pyqt, but I could be wrong). I'd also just like to see the installer just be a package in portage, that way people can easily make their own live CDs using whatever desktop (or apps) they want. But those are my fanciful goals (long-term). Nathaniel -- gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list