From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer <gentoo-installer@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-installer] a few different questions
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 13:25:24
I've got a few questions about the proposed new installer:

1. I've heard that the core installer will be written in Python. Is this true?

2. Whether Python or not, will real-time frontends have to be written the same language as
the core installer, or will it be controlled through a pipe or similar method?

3. Will the core installer have plugin capabilities (e.g. user-created
configuration/installation steps), either scripted (bash) or coded (Python or whatever)?

4. Which existing installer will the new code be based from or will this be done
completely from scratch possibly using existing concepts?

5. Are there any plans to include X along with Qt, GTK, Tcl/Tk, etc. on the LiveCD to
allow for the creation of GUI installer frontends?

6. What is already done? What needs to be done? What is still up in the air?

7. How can I help? I don't know Python, but I have pretty decent bash - only since working
on GLIS frontend ;) - and Perl skills. I don't know any Python, but I can always learn.

8. Anything else important that I might have missed?

--
Andrew Gaffney
System Administrator