From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Gentoo installer vs current installation method, what about later?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:23:34
1 On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 16:51 -0400, Michael Crute wrote:
2 > Yeah... good point... downloading 6GB of isos is for Fedora weenies.
3 > Guess I have kinda grown to taking that small minimal cd download size
4 > for granted. My next question would be then, why change anything on
5 > the minimal cd? Why mess with perfection; or are we going for the
6 > smallest iso of any distro out there? ;-)
7
8 Well, I plan on making a few changes on it. For one, I'm switching it
9 to being built with uclibc. It won't mean any real changes to
10 functionality, just the CD will be smaller. There's a couple drivers
11 that we've been adding that are really messed up and require a ton of
12 work to get going. Those I will be removing. About the only thing
13 "non-essential" that I'm leaving on the CD is screen.
14
15 I'm shooting to have the CD down to <32MB, but if I can't reach that
16 goal, then I won't remove anything that isn't broken. Basically, if I
17 can get it to 32MB removing only problematic stuff, then I'll do it.
18 Otherwise, it'll just be a uclibc version of what we have now.
21 Chris Gianelloni
22 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
23 x86 Architecture Team
24 Games - Developer