From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Gentoo installer vs current installation method, what about later?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:44:09
On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 15:41 -0400, Michael Crute wrote:
> Why not replace the minimal livecd too? Just add an option to do > graphical or "expert" install when you boot the livecd. That would > help you guys not have to generate so many CD images plus you get the > best of both worlds. Pretty much the only thing you would do is dump > people into a terminal instead of starting X for an expert install, > all the tools would still be there. Anyhow... just my $0.02
The graphical install is started manually, anyway. You can also boot the CD with "nox" to get to a terminal. The reason for the minimal CD is simple, size. If you don't plan on doing anything but a stage1 installation, a minimal CD + stage1 tarball is a lot less to download than a 700MB ISO image. Basically, you've suggested a capability the CD can already do. ;] -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead x86 Architecture Team Games - Developer Gentoo Linux