From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Re: Succesful installation
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:06:44
1 Rafael Barrera Oro wrote:
2 > First of all thanks for the feedback everyone.
3 >
4 > I guess you are all right to suspect a hardware problem but i am using
5 > extensively tested equipment (or at least i been told so). Anyway,
6 > yesterday i succeded, the only change i made was choosing the liveCD
7 > kernel instead of the gentoo sources, and so far, everything is
8 > working, does it makes sense to you?
9
10 That would take a little bit of stress off the disks since it doesn't have to
11 compile a kernel, but I'm still going to blame your hardware. The installer
12 doesn't do anything that would make your filesystems suddenly turn read-only.
13 Also, random failures (not reproducible) are almost always hardware related.
14
15 I've done probably 80+ installs with various versions of the installer using the
16 same LiveCD on a few different boxes, and I have never had the problems you are
17 describing.
20 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
21 Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
24 gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list