From: "Norman Rieß" <norman@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] version 0.3 of the Gentoo Linux Installer
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:48:14
Andrew Gaffney schrieb:

> Norman Rieß wrote: > >> Andrew Gaffney schrieb: >> >>> Simon Stelling wrote: >>> >>>> Norman Rieß wrote: >>>> >>>>> But see it with the eyes of a random Gentoo beginner. >>>>> You come to the "USE Flags" screen seeing some settings. You think >>>>> "That >>>>> are surely some nice settings. Otherwise they wouldn´t be set as >>>>> default". >>>>> But then you choose KDE. Now you have a KDE system with "+gnome >>>>> -kde" as >>>>> USE Flags. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> If people are not willing to read documentation, that's their >>>> fault. Being a >>>> newbie or a sysadmin++, it doesn't matter. >>> >>> >>> >>> You took the words from my mouth. >>> >> Right. But some WILL NOT read the documentation and they WILL create >> a crapy system. >> And then they WILL run to the forums. And guys like you WILL tell >> them to RTFM. >> And they will tell their friends what a crapy system Gentoo is and >> what jerks these Gentoo users are. >> >> Seriously give them a nice default system and tell them later in a >> nicer way to read how to extend the system. > > > How is that any different than a "manual" install? Many people don't > read the handbook completely and then complain loudly about how Gentoo > sucks. >
Exactly LinuxMan´s an my point, isn´t it? Setting the right USE-Flags based on the users software-selection is not only intuitive like Ashley said, it will/could prevent people from building shitty systems. If you want the installer to be a "alternative manual install", why write it in the first place? I thought it is writen to automise the installation, not "redefine" the manual one. -- gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list