From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-installer] Status update
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:44:43
Here's a quick status update on where we're at with the installer project...

- Project pages are up and full of neat things to read including
specifications and diagrams. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer/

- Initial CVS repository is set up and some code has been checked in.
(For those with Gentoo cvs access, it's under /gentoo/src/installer).
Everyone can view the repository at
http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/src/installer/?root=gentoo

- Coding guidelines have been established by those working on the
prototype. When I get a chance, I will be formally writing them up, so
when new developers join the project they can acclimate with greater ease.

- The installation profile class has been mostly fleshed out. (This is
the class that contains all user selections and installation options,
give or take.). This is a relatively simple class, but important none
the less. It parses from an XML file already so one half of "profile
saving and storage for repeat installs" is done.

- Discussion on the controller and architecture specific implementation
code has begun. Code should begin soon as well.

That's about what I can think of off the top of my head. If anyone has
questions about specific items, feel free to ask here so everyone else
can see as well.

Regards.
--
Eric Sammer