From: Hendrik Boom <hendrik@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-installer] emerge gives traceback during gentoo installation
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:16:17
Installing gentoo for the first time, starting yesterday.  I just got to
the point of choosing the system logger as described in section 9b of
   http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=9
and syslog-ng gives me a traceback.

(chroot) lovesong etc # emerge -vp syslog-ng

Calculating dependencies... done!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 3511, in ?
    mydepgraph.display(mydepgraph.altlist())
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 1699, in display
    myfilesdict=portage.portdb.getfetchsizes(x[2], useflags=self.applied_useflags[x[2]], debug=edebug)
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 5222, in getfetchsizes
    mf = Manifest(pkgdir, self.mysettings["DISTDIR"])
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_manifest.py", line 119, in __init__
    self._read()
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_manifest.py", line 179, in _read
    self._readDigests(myhashdict=self.fhashdict)
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_manifest.py", line 148, in _readDigests
    myhashdict=myhashdict)
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_manifest.py", line 164, in _readManifest
    self._parseDigests(fd, myhashdict=myhashdict, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_manifest.py", line 198, in _parseDigests
    for myentry in self._parseManifestLines(mylines):
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_manifest.py", line 184, in _parseManifestLines
    for myline in mylines:
IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error
(chroot) lovesong etc #

This is the second time I issued the command.  The first time I got about
487 lines of output, ending with:

>>> /usr/lib/libol.so.0 -> libol.so.0.0.0 >>> /usr/lib/libol.la >>> /usr/lib/libol.so -> libol.so.0.0.0 >>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache... >>> dev-libs/libol-0.3.18 merged.
>>> No packages selected for removal by clean.
>>> Emerging (2 of 2) app-admin/syslog-ng-1.6.9 to /
Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 3545, in ? mydepgraph.merge(pkglist) File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 2075, in merge retval=portage.doebuild(y,"merge",myroot,self.pkgsettings,edebug,tree="porttree") File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 2948, in doebuild if need_distfiles and not fetch(fetchme, mysettings, listonly=listonly, fetchonly=fetchonly): File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 1954, in fetch mydigests = Manifest( File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_manifest.py", line 119, in __init__ self._read() File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_manifest.py", line 179, in _read self._readDigests(myhashdict=self.fhashdict) File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_manifest.py", line 148, in _readDigests myhashdict=myhashdict) File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_manifest.py", line 164, in _readManifest self._parseDigests(fd, myhashdict=myhashdict, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_manifest.py", line 198, in _parseDigests for myentry in self._parseManifestLines(mylines): File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_manifest.py", line 184, in _parseManifestLines for myline in mylines: IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error (chroot) lovesong etc # df Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/ROOT 12389324 4263576 7496404 37% / (chroot) lovesong etc # mount /dev/ROOT on / type ext3 (rw,noatime) (chroot) lovesong etc # ls -l /dev/ROOT ls: /dev/ROOT: No such file or directory (chroot) lovesong etc # Further, I'm installing this using a chroot from a Debian sarge system. I've encountered a few anomalies along the way, but I suspect most of them are cosmetic, and that some just need a documentation update. I don't think they are related to the tracebacks, but I mention them below just in case they are a clue to the deeper problem. (I planned to mention them in a separate letter of advice on how to avoid confusing newbies.) (1) The portage file on the mirror was called portage-latest.tar.bz2.tar instead of portage-latest.tar.bx2 (2) Of course, from sarge I couldn't run mirrorselect. So I picked a mirror by hand, and is seemed to work. (3) At section 7.d, where I was supposed to zcat /proc/config.gz there was no such file. But the file I was supposed to create, /usr/share/genkernel/x86/kernel-config-26 already existed, so I just used the one that was already there. This may have resulted from the fact that /proc was, of course, a window into the Debian 2.6.8 kernel instead of the 2.6.17 installer kernel. (4) When doing genkernel all I got the message mount: special device /dev/BOOT does not exist * warning: failed to mount /boot There was still a directory /boot on the intended partition into which I was installing gentoo, so I presumed it would use that one for /boot, as I intended, and just let it go on. (5) There was not sufficient information on locales and keymaps. IN particular, none of the available locales had "UTF-8" in their names, even though some of the suggested ones did. Should I presume that the UTF-8 adaptation is created by the locale generating software? What I want is a system that uses UTF-8 internally and keyboards and consoles that accept input in several languages -- English, French, math, Japanese, and mathematics. I guesses some entries and went on -- confident that this can be fixed after installation. What further information should I dig out to help track down the problem? -- hendrik -- gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list