From: "Paul J. Wilson" <paulj.wilson@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] educating users
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:42:46
1 Deaf ears.
2
3 On 9/19/05, Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > Paul J. Wilson wrote:
6 > > The way I see it, the problem is not about the gentoo installer, but a
7 > > problem of perceptions between the developers and the users. There is a
8 > > further division between the "power users" and the "noobs".
9 > >
10 > > It's easier said than done, but each side should step outside their own
11 > > experience. To a developer, "easy" meains opening VI and drawing on
12 > > their knowledge of hot keys and bash syntax. To the average user, "easy"
13 > > means selecting options from a menu , or not selecting anything at all
14 > > to have things turn out as intended.
15 >
16 > To me, "easy" means following the very clear directions layed out for you
17 > in the
18 > install guide and being able to use nano. I may be wrong, but I believe my
19 > cat
20 > can use nano.
21 >
22 > > Regular, everyday users tend not to have the time to spend on the finter
23 > > points of linux and gentoo in particular. If the aim of the gentoo
24 > > installer project is to make Gentoo more accessable to these types of
25 > > users, then it's not unreasonable to expect these users to reach out
26 >
27 > That's not the aim. The aim is to make installs *faster* and more
28 > automated...not easier.
29 >
30 > > It's also obvious from the responses that some users do NOT find the
31 > > handbook accessable. This can't be simply explained away by lack of
32 > > intelligence. Again, what is obvious to some is not obvious to others,
33 > > especially those who are not trained to think in technical terms.
34 > > Brushing off the questions of every-day users as the work of "noobs" is
35 > > a very easy and sloppy thing to do.
36 >
37 > People who can't follow the handbook are people that can't pay attention
38 > long
39 > enough to read a complete sentence. If someone can't install Gentoo
40 > because of
41 > ADD, that's not our problem.
42 >
43 > > There is a huge disconnect happening here. On the one hand, the Gentoo
44 > > front matter seems to state that Gentoo is "all about choices" and goes
45 > > on to strongly imply that the distribution can be all things to all
46 > > users. There are a sub-set of users who 1. don't find the detail and
47 > > fine-point instruction in the manual helpful 2. don't have the time to
48 > > manually configure everything or 3. are not computer literate. It's
49 > > obvious that there are large numbers of people who want to use gentoo
50 > > but whose needs are not being met. I have the impression that the
51 > > gentoo-installer project is an attempt to meet the needs of such users.
52 >
53 > Gentoo is not exactly targeted at *any* of those groups of users. As
54 > stated
55 > above, that is *not* the intention of the installer.
56 >
57 > --
58 > Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
59 > Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
60 > --
61 > gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list