From: Ladislav Laska <ladislav.laska@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Question about Gentoo-Server
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 06:01:52
Hi,

there is a little easier way. I'm using it for some time now.

You can use -B parameter (build package only) and then install with -K
parameter (you'll split the process into two parts - build and tbz2
pkg and install binary package). You can even run emerge -B from cron
script, as long as your machine is powerful enough and you'll keep
track of packages (note that world keyword will always get you same
set of packages)

Works well, especially when you don't have time to sit and wait to
compile few more pkgs to complete update and not to ruin your system
when problem rises and you'll not be there to solve it.

Hope I helped at least a little.

On 9/29/08, Daniel Spahn <dspahn@×××××.com> wrote:
> I am interested in Gentoo as a server OS, but I have not been able to > find much on exactly what the status is. Is there a recommended set of > packages? Does it actually have an installer? I also have some > suggestions for such an OS, based on my experience with Gentoo: > > First, I would suggest that the emerge function be broken down into two > parts- a downloader/compiler and an installer- that way, a server can > compile the software that will be needed during its hours of service, > then can install the software during specific hours (a service window or > something). I would envision this as working similar to how etc-update > works, where it proides a queue of ready-to-install binaries, which can > be installed on a per-package basis. In a perfect world, any green, > yellow, or red-starred information would be browseable before installing > the package. Unfortunately, such a change would either require a new set > of arch'es or a parallel version of portage for the server version... > Any thoughts? > > >
-- Regards Ladislav Laska S pozdravem Ladislav Laska