From: Walter White <walterjwhite@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-installer] installer/ releng coordination
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:42:50
1 Hi John and all,
2
3 I was hoping to have a gentoo installer for the end of this summer (I have
4 been working on my own C++ installer intermittently and it is near finished,
5 but command line only). I was looking at work some other gentooers have
6 done, and there was one that caught my eye:
7
8 http://gentoo.vidalinux.com/?q=node/view/35
9
10 This project is based from anaconda. I think we could use this as a base
11 and change it to fit the Gentoo framework. I originally thought writing
12 from scratch might be a better idea, but they have done a lot of the stuff
13 we need to do. We just need to change package selection/installation and
14 remove all RedHat references.
15
16 To keep everyone on the same page, we should use an IDE like KDevelop.
17 Whoever is the project manager should assign us individual tasks so we are
18 all working on different areas to keep development going or maybe we can
19 select ones ourselves and just post a comment here or something to let
20 others know. I think that patching the installer rather than a total
21 rewrite will save us time in re-inventing the wheel. Would you guys want to
22 vote on this - should we use the Anaconda installer or rewrite everything
23 from scratch?
24
25 Walter
26