From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] educating users
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 23:35:39
Paul J. Wilson wrote:
> The way I see it, the problem is not about the gentoo installer, but a > problem of perceptions between the developers and the users. There is a > further division between the "power users" and the "noobs". > > It's easier said than done, but each side should step outside their own > experience. To a developer, "easy" meains opening VI and drawing on > their knowledge of hot keys and bash syntax. To the average user, "easy" > means selecting options from a menu , or not selecting anything at all > to have things turn out as intended.
To me, "easy" means following the very clear directions layed out for you in the install guide and being able to use nano. I may be wrong, but I believe my cat can use nano.
> Regular, everyday users tend not to have the time to spend on the finter > points of linux and gentoo in particular. If the aim of the gentoo > installer project is to make Gentoo more accessable to these types of > users, then it's not unreasonable to expect these users to reach out
That's not the aim. The aim is to make installs *faster* and more automated...not easier.
> It's also obvious from the responses that some users do NOT find the > handbook accessable. This can't be simply explained away by lack of > intelligence. Again, what is obvious to some is not obvious to others, > especially those who are not trained to think in technical terms. > Brushing off the questions of every-day users as the work of "noobs" is > a very easy and sloppy thing to do.
People who can't follow the handbook are people that can't pay attention long enough to read a complete sentence. If someone can't install Gentoo because of ADD, that's not our problem.