From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Gentoo installer vs current installation method, what about later?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:49:37
On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 02:28 +0800, John Walsh wrote:
> Ok, but will the CD still ahve everything it had before, or will you be removing stuff to make > room for X and all of that? If so, as I suspect, what will be taken out? Is there a place where > people can look at what will be removed and maybe vote on what needs to stay?
Nothing is taken out. The Universal CD is just the Minimal CD, as far as functionality is concerned. This will be a more functional CD. As for voting, this isn't Survivor. You don't get to vote anyone off the island.
> ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Andrew Gaffney" <agaffney@g.o> > To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o > Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Gentoo installer vs current installation method, what about later? > Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:20:19 -0500 > > > > > John Walsh wrote: > > > But I like the non-X liveCD (not the minimal, the Universal), everybody has X > > > livecd's and the simplicity and power of the current livecd is unmatched. > > > Is there no way of keeping the same Universal LiveCD as is now > > > for those users that > > > prefer it? I mean, when a system is down, there is no need to > > > start X and have open-office and x-chat, xine, mplayer, xmms, etc > > > on the CD, but as many tools as possible, like it is now to get > > > it back up. > > > > The universal basically is the minimal with some extras: > > > > universal == minimal + stages + portage snapshot > > > > You can easily bypass X on the X-LiveCD by passing 'nox' on the > > kernel commandline. > > > > -- Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/ > > Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project > > > > -- gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list > > > -- > _______________________________________________ > Check out the latest SMS services @ http://www.linuxmail.org > This allows you to send and receive SMS through your mailbox. > > Powered by Outblaze >
-- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead x86 Architecture Team Games - Developer Gentoo Linux