From: Jarek I James <negative_creep10@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] installer project status
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 20:02:26
1 any set dates beta? Stable?
2
3 --- Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > I'm posting this to gentoo-dev in addition to
6 > gentoo-installer, but please take
7 > any conversation over to the gentoo-installer ML.
8 >
9 > I know we've been saying that the LiveCD for the
10 > installer would be done in a
11 > few weeks for the past 5 months or so, but now it
12 > will only be a few more weeks.
13 > Just kidding!
14 >
15 > We are happy to announce GLI 0.1 (a.k.a "the alpha")
16 > along with a *real* LiveCD
17 > (usable X environment with goodies) as opposed to
18 > the normal minimal or
19 > universal "LiveCD". It will hit the mirrors under
20 > /experimental at the same
21 > time as the 2005.1 release.
22 >
23 > The LiveCD contains most of the standard GRP set as
24 > usable packages. This
25 > includes (but isn't limited to):
26 >
27 > * GNOME
28 > * fluxbox
29 > * enlightenment
30 > * Xfce4
31 > * Firefox
32 > * Thunderbird
33 > * OpenOffice.org (Ximian goodness)
34 > * sylpheed
35 > * xmms
36 > * gaim
37 > * xchat
38 > * mplayer
39 >
40 > Obviously, the installer will also be included. In
41 > GNOME, there is even a handy
42 > desktop launcher for the GTK frontend! We have
43 > strived to allow you to do
44 > anything with the installer that you could do if
45 > installing with the current
46 > method. Keep in mind that this is only a first
47 > release, and there is a lot of
48 > room for improvement. Here are some known
49 > limitations:
50 >
51 > * no /etc/portage support in the frontends
52 > * no way to modify runlevels in the frontends
53 > * only supports x86 and probably amd64 (other arches
54 > are in the works)
55 > * the GTK frontend's make.conf screen only offers a
56 > few options
57 > * no way to custom configure a kernel without a
58 > premade .config
59 > * no lvm or software raid support
60 >
61 > Of course, to offset these bad things, we have a few
62 > features that are
63 > available with the installer that were not available
64 > previously:
65 >
66 > * livecd-kernel - the installer will install the
67 > kernel from the LiveCD into
68 > the new install so that you don't have to wait
69 > for genkernel to do its
70 > thing. It is installed as a package with emerge
71 > so that certain dependencies
72 > are satisfied (virtual/alsa for example)
73 > * GRP w/o an extra CD - the installer will quickpkg
74 > and emerge -K packages from
75 > the LiveCD instead of using prebuilt binary
76 > packages. This obsoletes the GRP
77 > CD, which will probably disappear in the next
78 > release.
79 > * dynamic stage3 - the installer can build a stage3
80 > equivalent in the chroot
81 > directory from the packages on the CD. This will
82 > be useful down the road for
83 > networkless installs. Currently, there is no
84 > snapshot on the LiveCD for
85 > space reasons, but play with it anyway.
86 >
87 > Along with the GTK frontend, there is also a
88 > dialog-based frontend. This is
89 > useful for doing remote installs via SSH. gli-dialog
90 > also supports some things
91 > that the GTK frontend doesn't and vice versa. If not
92 > using gnome, the
93 > installer can be started by running 'installer' from
94 > a terminal. This will try
95 > to launch the GTK frontend first with the
96 > 'installer-gtk' script. If this
97 > fails, it will fall back to the dialog installer
98 > with the 'installer-dialog'
99 > script. If you wish to use the dialog frontend, you
100 > can run 'installer-dialog'
101 > directly.
102 >
103 > Now, for the *most* important part...reporting bugs.
104 > Gentoo's bugzilla has a
105 > special sub-section for the installer. When you
106 > click the link to enter a new
107 > bug report, select "Gentoo Linux" and then "GLI"
108 > from the "Component" list.
109 > Please search for the bug you're reporting *before*
110 > creating a new bug. We
111 > would much rather see "me too" comments, or even the
112 > much more silent act of
113 > adding yourself to the bug's CC, than having to deal
114 > with tons of duplicate
115 > bugs. When you do encounter an error in the
116 > installer, try to grab
117 > /tmp/installprofile.xml and /var/log/install.log
118 > from the LiveCD environment.
119 > We may request them when you file a bug.
120 >
121 > If you've actually made it this far, congratulations
122 > for having an attention
123 > span greater than that of the average 3 year old!
124 > Happy installing :)
125 >
126 > --
127 > Andrew Gaffney
128 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
129 > Gentoo Linux Developer
130 > Installer Project
131 > --
132 > gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list
137 l.l.k.c.
138 "I hate myself and i want to die"
139 -Kurt Cobain
144 Do you Yahoo!?
145 Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced search.
146 http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
147 --
148 gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list