From: Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] New class diagram and use case
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 20:09:46
On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 14:12, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> I don't see what you mean with GLIInstallProfile, but there are basically two > cases: > - single xml file > - multiple xml files (possibly a way to put multiple ones into one file) > > In the case where there is a single xml file it is necessary that the backend > is able to allready perform tasks at the moment that a complete task has been > received (but following tasks not yet). As DOM works in a parse completely > first way it is inappropriate (unless there is a dom that doesn't work that > way). > > Say that the interface between the backend and the frontend is a pipe. In that > case a way to control the backend would be by sending an xml file over. > > How would that work together with an interactive frontend. The backend would > try to read the pipe. At the moment that a task has been closed it will > execute the task. If there is a task in the pipe's buffer at that moment it > will execute the next task etc. If there is no task in the buffer, the pipe > will block and the backend will automatically pause until the frontend tells > it to do more. > > For the backend it would not matter whether all the tasks are comming from a > file, at once from the frontend or gradually by the frontend. > > I don't care that much how or if you implement this in the frontend, but > implementing it in the backend (where it is simpler anyway) would make it > easy to add interactivity in a later stage.
The backend doesn't actually do anything until all options have been chosen. ALL installation activity waits until AFTER the user would click "finish" (just an example). Nothing should be done until the user has made all choices. Once the user has made all choices, it will pass the xml file to the backend and perform the whole installation. This is really the desireable operation. Nathaniel