From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Gentoo installer vs current installation method, what about later?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:51:36
On 10/19/05, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 15:41 -0400, Michael Crute wrote: > > Why not replace the minimal livecd too? Just add an option to do > > graphical or "expert" install when you boot the livecd. That would > > help you guys not have to generate so many CD images plus you get the > > best of both worlds. Pretty much the only thing you would do is dump > > people into a terminal instead of starting X for an expert install, > > all the tools would still be there. Anyhow... just my $0.02 > > The graphical install is started manually, anyway. You can also boot > the CD with "nox" to get to a terminal. The reason for the minimal CD > is simple, size. If you don't plan on doing anything but a stage1 > installation, a minimal CD + stage1 tarball is a lot less to download > than a 700MB ISO image. Basically, you've suggested a capability the CD > can already do. ;] >
Yeah... good point... downloading 6GB of isos is for Fedora weenies. Guess I have kinda grown to taking that small minimal cd download size for granted. My next question would be then, why change anything on the minimal cd? Why mess with perfection; or are we going for the smallest iso of any distro out there? ;-) -Mike -- ________________________________ Michael E. Crute Software Developer SoftGroup Development Corporation Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware. "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"