From: Tom McDonald <mickeyd@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] how to setup deployment server
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:40:15
1 Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2
3 >On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 04:24:13PM -1000, Gavin Seo wrote:
6 >>Does anyone have any documentation/guides on how to setup a automated
7 >>deployment server? I currently want to install gentoo on 30 nodes, I have
8 >>an existing machine running gentoo that has identical hardware to the 30
9 >>nodes that need gentoo system installed. If anyone has experience in
10 >>setting up a deployment server, it would be greatly appreciated if you
11 >>would share your experience.
15 >I have some experience on a quite similar field. The entire network is using
16 >the same DHCP server; when the system boots from the network (which is only
17 >allowed with the appropriate credentials af course) a small Linux image is
18 >downloaded and started.
19 >
20 >That image fires up the machine, connects to a PartImage server and places
21 >an image on the file system. The image itself is not tied to a particular
22 >host as all configuration specific to the system is obtained from LDAP or
23 >otherwise.
24 >
25 >However, due to the lack of PartImage development speed, I am contemplating
26 >on developing something more robust and flexible, so I am also interested in
27 >hearing from others...
28 >
29 >Wkr,
30 > Sven Vermeulen
34 Check out systemImager on source forge.
35
36 Tom
40 Tom McDonald <mickeyd@××××××××××.com>
43 The last person who said that (God rest his soul) lived to regret it.
46 gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list