From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Gentoo installer vs current installation method, what about later?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:53:47
1 On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 01:59 +0800, John Walsh wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > I just need some enlightenment, is the gentoo installer going to REPLACE the current methode or is it going to
5 > be an aleternative, like choosing in between expert/manual (the current method) and easy (the gentoo installer).
6 > The reason I ask this is because I like the current install method via the livecd and I use that livecd A LOT when
7 > I have to solve some problems on a linux (and even window$) partition. I wouldn't not want to be able to still use
8 > the livecd as it is currently usable, because I think it is the best livecd out there. If it is going to completely
9 > replace the current livecd installation method then is there going to someone at Gentoo to keep up the livecd
10 > tradition?
11
12 The concept I have in place for future releases is pretty simple. There
13 will be 2 CD images per architecture.
14
15 1. Minimal InstallCD
16 2. Installer LiveCD
17
18 There will also be stages 1, 2, and 3 on the mirrors. You will still be
19 able to do a manual installation, but it will be highly discouraged,
20 simply due to possible problems.
21
22 At any rate, when I say LiveCD, I mean the full-blown CD with X on it.
23 This CD will be the replacement for both the Universal InstallCD and the
24 PackageCD. It will also be usable as a RescueCD, so essentially, it is
25 filling three roles.
26
27 The Minimal InstallCD will be reduced even further to be usable for
28 installation only. Any non-installation-related packages will be
29 removed from the CD. I've been considering even removing some of the
30 lesser-used drivers that typically cause problems and leaving them for
31 the full LiveCD only.
32
33 You can, of course, still perform a manual installation using the
34 LiveCD. You aren't forced to use the Installer. I, personally, only
35 use the LiveCD, as I like having a complete environment available when
36 doing troubleshooting, or even just being able to get on gaim while I'm
37 waiting for my install to complete.
40 Chris Gianelloni
41 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
42 x86 Architecture Team