From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Pretty Slideshow
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 22:15:43
1 On Friday 03 December 2004 22:56, David Longo wrote:
2 > I agree with you on that, but I think that in order to appeal to the
3 > less...linux saavy, or to gain the support of those good with
4 > computers but new to linux, I think a clean gui would be nice in a
5 > different edition maybe. Maybe have on livecd for enterprise, cut and
6 > dry automation, nothing special. And then have a livecd for first
7 > time users or home users, that has a more fedora type install with the
8 > slideshow and with a "What kind of system would you like?" I mean,
9 > maybe I'm thinking of the wrong audience, but I always thought gentoo
10 > was for everyone...not just those who need enterprise functionality...
11
12 I don't know whether we should want to cater first-time linux users. I
13 certainly wouldn't recommend gentoo to first-time users. The gentoo focus is
14 on more savvy users and there is plenty to break in gentoo, and the
15 environment doesn't invite point-and-click users either. In any case gentoo
16 started out as a distribution for power users. Gradually more people started
17 using gentoo. Besides many more power users that included system admins
18 (enterprise users) and less savvy users. Let it be clear that everyone who
19 finds gentoo usefull for himself is more than welcome to use it, but we
20 shouldn't try to focus on being a beginners distro as we're not, and doing so
21 would alienate the core group of people (our user base, the people who man
22 the forum, the community) who make gentoo what it is.
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze
28 Gentoo Developer