From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] New installer project status
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:17:41
Kurt Lieber wrote:
> Figure out where you want the directory and I'll be happy to create it. > Looking at our various top level categories, it doesn't really fit cleanly > into any of them. I'd suggest base as being the closest match.
This is sticky. I don't have an opinion either way about it as long as it's not branded a desktop or server subproject so as to alienate either group.
>>- Get a code repository going. Since non-devs may (as in "might," not >>"can") participate in actual development, the repository may need to be >>hosted on non-Gentoo servers. > > This is something I would object to. If this is an official Gentoo project > (which I assume it is) that we're going to let official Gentoo users > eventually user (which I assume we are) then we need to ensure that it's > developed on secure infrastructure, etc.
Not a problem. That's why I threw that out as something to discuss. I wasn't sure what our policies were on things such as this. Right now, I think all those that would be writing code (and therefore need CVS commit access) are Gentoo devs (or soon to be).
>>- Decide to what level non-devs should participate (mainly, can they >>commit code) > > I vote no. :)
A fair vote. If there is an inroad to them becoming devs, that's fine. I just didn't want to see good coders turned away.
Heh. Yea, well... we can try. ;) -- Eric Sammer Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org