From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Amd64 Installer
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 22:47:35
On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 17:13 -0500, Spencer Ogden wrote:
> 1) How can I help in diagnosing the Kernel Panic? What information would > be useful? My understanding is that this is a new chipset and at least > kernel version 2.6.14 is needed (I'm running 2.6.15 under x86). What > version does the installer use?
Don't bother. The 2005.1-r1 CD had a 2.6.12 kernel on it. It probably simply won't work for your machine.
> 2) I guess by using x86 I am basically running my machine in 32-bit > mode? Is there a way to transition to amd64, or will I have to > reinstall? How much am I missing?
You installed 32-bit. You can't "upgrade" to 64-bit cleanly. You're going to need to format/reinstall to get a 64-bit system. How much are you missing? 32-bits... :P Currently you are using only half of the general-purpose registers and none of the 64-bit instructions on your chip. Basically, you have an oversized Athlon XP.
> Thanks for your help, I've been a happy Gentoo user for a few years and > this my first excursion into another architecture,
Unfortunately, it seems the AMD64 stuff advances much too quickly. There is an experimental universal CD in /experimental/amd64/livecd on your favorite mirror that uses a 2.6.14 kernel. The newer CD should probably boot fine for you. The next Gentoo release, 2006.0, will be based off a 2.6.15 kernel. At any rate, none of your post had anything to do with the Gentoo Linux Installer project, so it doesn't really belong here. This list is specific to the installer application, not getting Gentoo installed. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead x86 Architecture Team Games - Developer Gentoo Linux