From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] New class diagram and use case
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:44:46
1 On Tuesday 03 February 2004 22:53, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > Why? Many people would want to be able to do parts of the installation
3 > manually while doing others automatically. As some parts cannot be
4 > performed out of order this means that if we want to support such a
5 > hands-on mode for the installer, we need to allow partial scripts to be
6 > executed.
7
8 There is a way to allow this in execution-after-Finish-button mode, too.
9
10 In the settings XML sent by the FE to the BE, add a flag that makes the BE
11 pause after every step's execution and wait for a signal from the FE to
12 continue. Also add an option to tell the BE to skip executing a step, instead
13 of supplying data saying how to execute it.
14
15 Then the user can choose to skip step X, click 'finish - execute with pauses',
16 and when it comes to step X do whatever he wants in another console.
20 Dan Armak
21 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
22 Matan, Israel
23 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
24 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951