From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] educating users
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:19:11
1 On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 23:51 +1000, Jesse McNelis wrote:
2 > I've always wondered at the definition of "easy to use".
3 > does "easy to use" mean that you can pick it up and be productive in
4 > an afternoon?
5
6 This definitely isn't Gentoo. Even if you're very familiar with Linux,
7 it will still take a little while longer to learn the "Gentoo way" of
8 doing certain things.
9
10 > or does "easy to use" mean that once you have put in the hard yards to
11 > learn it, it is extremely easy to do everyday tasks and just as easy
12 > to do complex ones?
13
14 I find Gentoo to be unbeatable in usability once you've learned the
15 system. The truth is that any system can be fairly easy to use once
16 you've trained yourself to use it. It's my personal opinion that Gentoo
17 tends to be easier to use, as far as usability is concerned, once you've
18 "learned the ropes", so to speak.
19
20 Anyway, this really isn't the place for this discussion, as we've gone
21 pretty far off-topic for the installer list.
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
26 Games - Developer
27 Gentoo Linux