From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] educating users
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:20:57
1 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > This is something that's been in the back of my mind for a while, but I
3 > haven't really come up with any good solutions for.
4 >
5 > With the release of the installer, we will be getting a lot of users who
6 > have never done a manual install and haven't/won't read the handbook.
7 > This is obviously not desirable due to the increased amount of dumb
8 > questions that will flood #gentoo and the gentoo-user ML.
9 >
10 > My idea was for a "quiz" from the handbook before the user is allowed to
11 > use the installer. This would force them to atleast skim the handbook
12 > before using the installer. This idea has been met with a lot of
13 > resistance by other developers, even though I had a lot of support for
14 > it about 6-8 months back.
15 >
16 > Do anyone else have a better idea?
19 I am strongly opposed to a quiz because it could possibly put an unnecessary burden on technically qualified people. I would prefer a strong warning message as suggested by Michael.
20
21 If they exist, we will find ways to deal with the "floods of newbies" who disregard the warning. For example, we could have separate channels/mailing lists for newbies. If they use the wrong channel/list, then we should politely inform them that they have breached the accepted etiquette standards and point them in the right direction.
22
23 Zac
24 --
25 gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list