From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] a few different questions
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:58:42
Eric Sammer wrote:
>> 2. Whether Python or not, will real-time frontends have to be written >> the same language as the core installer, or will it be controlled >> through a pipe or similar method? > > I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "real time" but the physical > commands will be shelled out where required. If you're asking if we're > going to reimplement fdisk in pure python, the answer is a certain "no." ;)
By real-time, I mean that if you create your partition layout in the frontend and then click 'Next ->', it will fire off a function call to the installer core which will put that partition layout into effect. Just the same as most installers work, instead of how the GLIS frontend and backend works. With the frontend that Scott Hadfield and I jointly wrote for GLIS, the frontend creates the config file which gets passed to the backend when the config is done. That is not real-time.