From: Jan Riedel <ml.gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Gentoo Java / Apache Tomcat choices vs FreeBSD
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:12:46
1 Michael Vince wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3
4 hi michael
5
6 > I just installed Gentoo on my laptop after having FreeBSD as my desktop
7 > for a long time.
8 > I felt Gentoo would be my best shot at using and enjoying a Linux
9 > distribution for my desktop, as Gentoo promises a lot of freedom and
10 > choice.
11 > All up its pretty darn good but I have to say I am a bit disappointed
12 > with the Tomcat/Apache/Java choices Gentoo portage has to offer.
13 >
14 > The main reason I am interested in Gentoo Linux was the fact I can use a
15 > Java supplied from Sun as an alternative to some of the FreeBSD native
16 > Java compiled via ports with Tomcat. I have servers running under
17 > Apache2.0.55 and Apache2.2.0 with Tomcat 5.5.x
18 >
19 > My main problems are there is not a full set of choices of Apache that
20 > being just 1.3.x or Apache 2.0.x and no Apache 2.2.x.
21
22 net-www/apache-2.2.0 is now in portage (since 2006-02-15). but make sure
23 to build dev-libs/apr with USE="ipv6", otherwise building of
24 net-www/apache-2.2.0 will fail.
25
26 > Apache 2.2.x has some great new features like a built in AJP module for
27 > linking Tomcat and Apache together with out needing the external mod_ajp
28 > module.
29
30 unfortunately i am a little bit disappointed because the module
31 mod_proxy_ajp is not being built, so i can't use this new feature to
32 connect to tomcat. i tried to modify the ebuild, but it didn't work. if
33 anyone has an idea -> tell me please.
34
35 > Secondly there is only Tomcat 5.0.x in portage, in FreeBSD there is
36 > Tomcat3,Tomcat4,Tomcat41, Tomcat5 and Tomcat55
37 > I do have to admit I think I will be happy with even just 1 Java in
38 > Linux since I know it comes from Sun for Linux which I expecting should
39 > be of a good quality. Believe it or not but doing a 'cd
40 > /usr/ports/java/; ls | grep -c jdk" in FreeBSD returns a count of 15
41 > Java choices, admittedly half of then being the Linux ones for use via
42 > the Linux kernel emulation.
43 >
44 > I installed Gentoo on my laptop with a bit of excitement and was going
45 > to start doing some benchmarks and testing with Apache 2.2 and Tomcat
46 > 5.5 just to find I will have to start manually building it all and
47 > manually installing it all my self.
48 >
49 > My question is does any one have any idea of when Apache projects such
50 > as Tomcat 5.5 and Apache 2.2 will be in portage?
51 >
52 > Regards,
53 > Mike
57 regards,