From: Jan Riedel <ml.gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Gentoo Java / Apache Tomcat choices vs FreeBSD
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:12:46
Michael Vince wrote:
> Hi all,
hi michael
> I just installed Gentoo on my laptop after having FreeBSD as my desktop > for a long time. > I felt Gentoo would be my best shot at using and enjoying a Linux > distribution for my desktop, as Gentoo promises a lot of freedom and > choice. > All up its pretty darn good but I have to say I am a bit disappointed > with the Tomcat/Apache/Java choices Gentoo portage has to offer. > > The main reason I am interested in Gentoo Linux was the fact I can use a > Java supplied from Sun as an alternative to some of the FreeBSD native > Java compiled via ports with Tomcat. I have servers running under > Apache2.0.55 and Apache2.2.0 with Tomcat 5.5.x > > My main problems are there is not a full set of choices of Apache that > being just 1.3.x or Apache 2.0.x and no Apache 2.2.x.
net-www/apache-2.2.0 is now in portage (since 2006-02-15). but make sure to build dev-libs/apr with USE="ipv6", otherwise building of net-www/apache-2.2.0 will fail.
> Apache 2.2.x has some great new features like a built in AJP module for > linking Tomcat and Apache together with out needing the external mod_ajp > module.
unfortunately i am a little bit disappointed because the module mod_proxy_ajp is not being built, so i can't use this new feature to connect to tomcat. i tried to modify the ebuild, but it didn't work. if anyone has an idea -> tell me please.
regards, jan -- gentoo-java@g.o mailing list